Soaked oatmeal that is. Soaked? What’s that? I’m so glad you asked. 🙂 Soaking grains, beans, and nuts helps them to be more digestible and allows our bodies to absorb more of the nutrition in them. I’m going to be posting about that in detail in a few days. In the meantime, I want to share with you one of my new favorite things for breakfast.
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar, buttermilk, lemon juice, yogurt, or kefir
- 1 cup milk (or 1 cup water)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and leave on the counter overnight. It needs to soak for 8 to 24 hours.
When you are ready to make the oatmeal, put 1 cup of milk or water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. While the milk is heating I usually drain and rinse the oats to help remove the sour taste. If I’m using raisins, I add them to the milk as it’s heating to soften them up.
When the milk comes to a boil, add the oats, 2 tsp of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s the consistency you like.
It doesn’t take very long to cook at all. Add some butter and the sweetener of your choice and serve.
Since I am the only one who eats it here, I actually just use 1/4 cup of oats and reduce the other ingredients accordingly. I’ve made it plain and with raisins and cinnamon. I think next time I may chop up part of an apple and some pecans and add that in with the cinnamon. Just as a side note, if you are using nuts or seeds, you should add them to the oats and soak them as well.
Why don’t you give it a try? What would you put in your oatmeal?
- 1 cup rolled oats organic
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar, buttermilk, lemon juice, active yogurt, or kefir
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (optional)
- Combine oats, water, and vinegar or other acid. Cover and let sit for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- Bring milk to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the oatmeal is the desired constancy.