To prepare homemade instant rice
- If using purchased instant rice, follow the directions on the box.
- Bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 cups of homemade instant rice. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let sit for at least 10 minutes. When ready to serve, fluff with a fork.
To prepare sausage, peppers, and onions
- While the stock for the rice is coming to a boil, remove the casings from the Italian sausage. Now make 5 or 6 small sausage balls from each sausage.
- Next, slice the onion and mince the garlic clove. De~seed the bell peppers and cut them into thin strips.
- Put the olive oil in a cast iron skillet (or other heavy skillet) and turn the heat on to medium.
- Lightly brown the sausage balls on all sides and remove them from the pan. You may have to brown them in 2 batches.
- Put the garlic, onions, bell peppers, and thyme in the hot skillet and saute until the peppers are tender and the onions are translucent. Remove them from the pan.
To prepare the gravy
- Add the 2 Tbsp of flour to the hot oil in the skillet. Whisk constantly, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the flour until it turns a golden brown.
- Once the flour has browned, add the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth all at once. Whisk to combine and continue whisking until the gravy has thickened.
- When it reaches the desired thickness, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and return the sausage balls to the skillet.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to finish cooking the sausage.
- Add the veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve over the rice. Or you can mix the rice into the rest of the ingredients in the skillet.